Friday, April 20, 2007
My Final Thoughts
Laurel Richardson has spent a lifetime dedicating her time, her precious time, on research and writing: academia, in short. I thought heavily on this subject--the ability to give yourself so fully to a cause, to devote a lifetime to making a difference in such an underprivileged community. I know for a fact that any author who has published half as much as Ms. Richardson would have gained celebrity status as an author--and yet because so much of Ms. Richardson work is academic, she does not receive the praise that she deserves.

I think about my own life in relation to Ms. Richardson. My aspirations and my goals are miniscule in comparison to anything that Ms. Richardson set out to achieve--and did in fact accomplish. How could I even begin to set a goal so high? How could I begin laying out the groundwork for a curriculum vitae filled to the brim with awards and articles and published manuscripts? Furthermore, Ms. Richardson worked in a time when this kind of achievement was difficult, if not impossible, for a woman to accomplish. What would a life with this kind of devotion and determination be like?

The inspiration for this hardwork astounds me. It makes me want to do something--to start a career that would be able to have half the impact on the academic community.

I was honored to be able to interview Ms. Richardson and review her work--the centerpiece of her life did not hinge on academic glory, but instead upon impressive personal satisfaction with her life and life's work. I was happy to find Ms. Richardson to be a friendly, funny, and interesting woman who surprised me with the nature of her answers, and helped me see past the initial shock of her massive vitae.
posted by J Mancini @ 3:43 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me
Recent Posts
Archives

© WMNST 227 Laurel Richardson